Diatomaceous Earth/Worms

Ask or post your question and answers!

Moderator: Brian M

Forum rules
No Blatant Advertising

Please post your questions or answers to assist others. You may leave a helpful link that applies to your post!

Diatomaceous Earth/Worms

Postby Finn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Will the use of DE as a pest (slug/snail) control in my gardens harm my composting redworms/nightcrawlers in any way?
Finn

Re: Diatomaceous Earth/Worms

Postby The Worm Expert » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:37 am

Finn,

Welcome to the forum... I am trying to catch up and keep this forum cleaned up...

As for your question, I have a friend in the business which he tested the Food-Grade Diatomaceous Earth and found when sprinkled lightly in the worm bin, it helped to control a number of pests without harming the worms. In fact he went a step further and tried mixing a bunch in the worm bedding, which I do not recommend as I am not sure what type of worm he tried it on. His results were that the worms actually ate the Food-Grade Diatomaceous Earth.

I mention food grade as others such as pool grade will kill off your worms.

On top of this you can sprinkle around the legs of your worm bin to assist in keeping the pests out you mention as well as aide in ant prevention.

As a last note you can use this product as an organic, natural pest control in your flower and garden beds.

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Postby cwsooner » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Bruce,

I have put DE, don’t know the brand as it was broken down from a bigger bag and sold to me from an organic garden store, throughout the bedding and while it is affective it disappears after the worms eat it and the bedding then the bugs come back. I have switched to using AZAMAX, an organic Neem oil product, that seems to have cut down the amount of mites in the bin so far. I have been having problems with white bugs now that I assume are springtails. This product either keeps them from reproducing and or keeps them from feeding. It’s supposed to work on a number of bugs. It is mainly sold for the garden.
What about using Nematodes?

Chuck
P.S. This was posted from the Worm Blog site.
cwsooner

Postby The Worm Expert » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:06 am

Chuck

Yes the worm will eat the Diatomaceous Earth, D.E. cannot stress enough it has to be food grade, however if you use any worm food such as Purina Worm Chow, you can mix some in at the rate of up to 2% before feeding to the worms. This gives the worm bin a continuous flow of the D.E. to assist in keeping the pest problems to a minimum.

I have tried the Neem oil in the past and noticed the worms ran from it probably due to the heavy citrus type of smell to it. I also noticed that the worms that came in contact with it ended up dying off within 24 to 48 hours.

I have not had a reason to try the Nematodes, however have heard good things about them being used in worm bins.

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Postby c17trainer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:21 am

The Worm Expert wrote:Chuck

Yes the worm will eat the Diatomaceous Earth, D.E. cannot stress enough it has to be food grade, however if you use any worm food such as Purina Worm Chow, you can mix some in at the rate of up to 2% before feeding to the worms. This gives the worm bin a continuous flow of the D.E. to assist in keeping the pest problems to a minimum.

I have tried the Neem oil in the past and noticed the worms ran from it probably due to the heavy citrus type of smell to it. I also noticed that the worms that came in contact with it ended up dying off within 24 to 48 hours.

I have not had a reason to try the Nematodes, however have heard good things about them being used in worm bins.

Bruce

I use your DE in my bins but I have a continual problem in my wiggler bin with these tiny little white bugs. I have dusted the bin with DE, I have changed out the bedding but they continue to reappear. The funny thing is my two bins underneath the wigglers (they're all fed chow, oats and laying mash) do not have this problem. All three bins are taken care of in the same manner. Any suggestions? :?
c17trainer

Diatomaceous Earth/Worms

Postby c17trainer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:45 pm

I use your DE in my bins but I have a continual problem in my wiggler bin with these tiny little white bugs. I have dusted the bin with DE, I have changed out the bedding but they continue to reappear. The funny thing is my two bins underneath the wigglers (they're all fed chow, oats and laying mash) do not have this problem. All three bins are taken care of in the same manner. Any suggestions? :?
c17trainer

Postby The Worm Expert » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:47 am

c17trainer

Do you have a picture you can upload or describe the type of bug you are seeing. My first thoughts would be either springtails or white mites?

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Postby c17trainer » Sat May 28, 2011 6:13 pm

The Worm Expert wrote:Chuck

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
I am at my wits end. My bins are being overrun by these little white "insects" that seem to render my worms unhealthy and then dying (disappearing). I feed my worms Worm Chow (purchased through you) and these bugs seem to like it too. I bought your bug dusting powder but it doesn't seem to work on these tiny little white bugs. Any ideas? I started my bins anew with worms from you a few months ago and again they are shriveling up and dying. The worms do fine until these little pests invade my bins. I raise my worms indoors. I have had over a year's worth of success and all of a sudden poof they're dying and I am doing nothing different except these little white bugs I can't get rid of. I need your help, PLEASE!!!c17trainer

Private messageE-mail c17trainer
c17trainer

Postby The Worm Expert » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:32 pm

c17trainer

I answered on another post in here from you somewhere.

By drying the bedding material on the top out will help. You can also scoop the top inch or so off and place outdoors in the sun.

Another trick is to place some melon rinds on the surface to allow the mites, if this is what they are to congregate on them and simply remove the melon rind. This will get the number down, however by keeping a dryer bedding material on the surface you will do better. Also stop feeding the worm for the next several days.

If you have a lid on your bin, try removing it and keeping it off the worm bin to allow more air flow, hence helping in keeping the top drier.

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Postby Benjy136 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:49 am

C17 trainer;

I know it's been a while since you've been on this thread, but would like to know if you ever found a solution. My question is, do these bugs fly? If so, I was thinking, if you still have the problem, a bug zapper placed over the bin may be the answer. lol

Benjy
Benjy136

Next

Return to Organic Gardening