africans

Moderator: Brian M

africans

Postby shylo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi Bruce ,I am doing the 14 day casting with the africans i got from you.How do i know when it is ready after the 14 days without digging into the bucket.They have been in a warm area for the whole time.
thanks
joe
shylo

Re: africans

Postby The Worm Expert » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:10 am

Joe

14 days is all it should take to complete the process throughout the entire bucket as long as the steps were followed. Some of mine are actually completed sooner in the past, however I wait the 14 days to insure they are completed as well as all of mine are on a two week cycle.

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Postby shylo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks Bruce,is it a problem if i let them go longer if i am not sure if all condition are ideal.Should i dig down to see if the peat has been eaten.

joe
shylo

Postby The Worm Expert » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:45 am

Joe

It is OK to allow them to go a few days longer... just be sure to keep feeding them.

Once the allotted time has passed using the 14 Day Worm Castings process, , you can dig down to check but all should be converted :D
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Postby Justin1775 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm also starting up africans in buckets with your updated 400 per bucket system, I have my 1,000 worms shipping confirmation so they will be here in a day or two.

I want to get into selling castings, Lets assume I have built your harvester 200 from the plans, and I have a reasonable size shop to work in.

My goal is to sell 2,000 pounds of worm castings for 1.00 per pound per month for a total income on 2,000 dollars.

the 400 worm count system seems to yield ( from reading ) about 4 gallons of castings per 2 week cycle. about 15 pounds. That would mean I would need to harvest off 133 buckets per month, so with 66 buckets ( round up to 70 ) so with 70 buckets in full production I should yield just over 2,000 pounds per month of castings.

Costs should be about 20% of income, so I am projecting 400 dollars of costs for bedding, feed, and overhead of heating a room etc.

Is it reasonable at these figures to rotate a 70 bucket system, 35 buckets per week. so each week I have to harvest and set up 35 buckets.

what sort of time would it take you to take down 35 buckets, harvest them with your new 200 system, set them up with new bedding, sort the cocoons, put them in an incubator, and finish out the process as outlined in your eBook???

it's easy to assume a few inputs and project income, but the time factor is hard to make a guess at.

I would guess it would take an average of 20 minutes per bucket max, so 35 buckets would take about 700 minutes, so thats 11.67 hours of labor per week to produce about 1,600 net profit, thats a total of 46.68 hours per month, for about 34 dollars per hour income.

I tried to do all the work here rather than just ask you an open ended question and make you take the time to explain it all, can you please tell me where in this model I am way off????

or is this about right,

what efficiency of scale can I anticipate?? doing 35 buckets may average about 12 hours, but I bet you could do twice the buckets in less than twice the time, how much time would 70 buckets take???

I am a one man show, and could hire help, but lets assume i am alone.

thanks again, Justin

if my income projections are close when I get to 70 buckets per week I can quit my job!!!! I hate my boss,

( i'm self employed, I get the feeling my new boss won't be any more fun than my current boss)

You have been a huge help and have given me hope to continue to work from home, it's been a tough few years.

Thanks for all your time, you have earned a loyal customer.

Justin Dambacher
Justin1775

Postby The Worm Expert » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Justin

First I will not get into too many specifics here as others have also paid for the eBook... However can be of assistance.

First off you raised a very good question on the time frame it takes to complete each individual bucket using the worm harvester 200. I had never actually timed it based on a one man operation and have since done such.

Now the timing included mixing the new bedding using a cement mixer which ran while the harvesting was going on simultaneously. Hence the times listed include the entire process of mixing bedding and harvesting per a one man operation.

Now keep in mind there are a number of variables which come to play. Are you pre-sifting the bedding material to make it easier to separate the smaller worms when harvesting or not... ?

However doing some samples and timing the mixing and actual harvesting takes me anywhere from 3 minutes for example without pre-sifting and harvesting larger worms as they are easier to separate from the larger debris coming out as the final product of the worm harvester.

Pre-sifting the bedding material, mixing and harvesting runs right about 6 to 7 minutes per bucket to harvest.

So in short the time frame is much less hence increasing your profits than you originally thought.

On another note, using the new revised edition of the 14 Day Worm Castings the output is a little less... on average about 13 pounds of worm castings per bucket.

So basically on average a one man operation can harvest approximately 1/2 ton to 1 ton of worm castings per day :mrgreen:

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Postby ShawnF » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 am

Bruce,
What is your experience on the lifespan of the ANCs? I am concerned about that because, despite maintaining 80 degrees for the worms, I have had no noticeable breeding (coccoons in the 1/4" screened material) success. Shawn
ShawnF
NatureworksTN.com
ShawnF

Postby Southernreign » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 pm

I will answer for Brian even so I do not personally raise ANC, In bins they live around 2 years and in-the-wild they live up to 4 years or more.
Begun Vermiculturing: Feb 2012 (USA, North Carolina, Charlotte)
with 2#s of European Nightcrawlers ( Eisenia Hortensis )
Bins: 60% Coconut Coir, 40% Pre-composted Cow Manure (Lowes- Black Kow)
and top supplement feed with Purina Worm Chow every 12 hours.
Southernreign

Postby Brian M » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:57 am

Southernreign wrote:I will answer for Brian even so I do not personally raise ANC, In bins they live around 2 years and in-the-wild they live up to 4 years or more.

I didn't answer this one as I dont know and was hoping Bruce would pop back in. My Africans are still doing nothing despite the weather warming up. Might have to split them up and see it that helps
regards
Brian :-) :-)
www.briansworms.com
Brian M

Postby Southernreign » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Sorry, I meant to write that reply for Bruce...
Hopefully, If I am wrong he will be able to correct me.
Begun Vermiculturing: Feb 2012 (USA, North Carolina, Charlotte)
with 2#s of European Nightcrawlers ( Eisenia Hortensis )
Bins: 60% Coconut Coir, 40% Pre-composted Cow Manure (Lowes- Black Kow)
and top supplement feed with Purina Worm Chow every 12 hours.
Southernreign

Next

Return to Worm Castings & Tea