Michigan Peat Moss

Moderator: Brian M

Michigan Peat Moss

Postby c17trainer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 pm

I purchased your ebook on 14 Day Worm Castings...excellent book by the way but I have one problem with it. In the book you tell us to use Michigan Peat Moss and toward the end you provide a link for the Michigan Peat Moss. I went to several home gardening center and counldn't find the peat moss so I sent a request, as you suggested in the book, to contact the company and ask where I can buy Michigan Peat Moss. Tom Roth, the sales rep for the company, immediately notified me that their peat moss is not distributed West of the Rockies, I live in southern California. So my question to you, is there a substitute that will provide almost the same results as those in your book? I know you sell the moss with your starter kits but I don't have any need for the rest of the items. I have been raising worms I purchase through you for the last two years and I am now ready to do some serious worm casting work. I have a wonderful turnout on my casting doing it the old way (3 month at a time for harvest) but now I don't want to have to wait that long. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.
Irene
c17trainer

Re: Michigan Peat Moss

Postby The Worm Expert » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm

c17trainer

There are actually two other bedding materials mentioned in the 14 Day Worm Castings eBook which will also work. The problem that exists is consistency in different products.

Take for instance a product called Black Kow. It is readily available nationwide. The company stresses they do not add materials other than what the cow eats. One such item they specify they do not ad is sand. However every bag I have found locally is loaded with sand. I even went as far as contacting the company and they informed me this should not be. In fact their own web site states they do not add any sand.

Now the same product sold in Texas is a pure product with no sand and is more like a peat moss.

The best material is a fully composted organic material however in some areas this can also be difficult to find.

I will keep you posted as I hope to hear back fro Black Kow and why what they promote is loaded with sand and in the meantime they state has no sand added.

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Postby Brian M » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:07 am

Bruce your recomending Michigan Peat Moss was the main reason I haven't ordered the 14 Day Worm Castings eBook. Now here in Australia I can buy peat moss but seems to be only in small bags and is very expensive for what you get.

My daughter has a horse so I have a ready supply of manure and I know what it is being fed and when it is wormed. Can I still use maure to get the same results from your book? You have encouraged me do do even better in 2012 with my worms so I can hoping that the book will be of use to me here in Australia.

regards
Brian :-) :-)
www.briansworms.com
Brian M

Postby The Worm Expert » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:29 am

Brian

I would not use a straight manure but could be mixed in for this type of setup using the 14 Day Worm Castings method.

No you can use a compost mix of leaves, grass clippings... just be sure it is well composted out (generally takes about a year) to make it look like a dark, rich soil before using in the system.

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Return to Worm Castings & Tea