my first worm harvester

Welcome to The Worm Expert discussion forums. New members please introduce yourself here...

Moderator: Brian M

Forum rules
No Blatant Advertising

Please post your questions or answers to assist others. You may leave a helpful link that applies to your post!

my first worm harvester

Postby Dr Fish » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:36 pm

howdy; I am new. just started to build my trammel screen, as per the plans, but I'm thinking about NOT using electric power to turn it. I plan on just turning the middle rim by hand. does it work, anybody?
Dr Fish

Re: my first worm harvester

Postby Brian M » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:23 am

Hello Dr Fish,

I too am about to build my screen after promising myself to start months ago. I picked up a 1/2" Drill with variable speed dial for $20 Aust. I plan to use this as my driver.
I think it will last for a little while and has a 2 year exchange warranty. There would be little load on it so hopefully will be ok
There are plenty of hand driven ones on Youtube.
regards
Brian :-) :-)
www.briansworms.com
Brian M

Postby ShawnF » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:35 am

Hey, Doc.
I just finished my harvester this weekend past. It came together nicely. I can't imagine hand cranking it. I'm guessing it will turn about 20-30 rpm. That's a lot of cranking considering I will be starting with 30 buckets in the 14-day cycle. I got a 1/2 Skil 7amp drill at Lowe's for $40. I bought it new so I could take advantage of the warrantee if needed. You could probably pick one up for less than half that on Craigslist.org or rummage sale. Good luck.
ShawnF
NatureworksTN.com
ShawnF

Postby Gramps » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Might check Harbor Freight @ www.harborfrieght.com they are almost always having a sale and at times you can pick up a dril for like $9.99 there are also a lot of 20% off cupons for them around too. They have retail stores all over the place too.
Gramps

Postby Brian M » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:30 am

ShawnF wrote:Hey, Doc.
I just finished my harvester this weekend past. It came together nicely. I can't imagine hand cranking it. I'm guessing it will turn about 20-30 rpm. That's a lot of cranking considering I will be starting with 30 buckets in the 14-day cycle. I got a 1/2 Skil 7amp drill at Lowe's for $40. I bought it new so I could take advantage of the warrantee if needed. You could probably pick one up for less than half that on Craigslist.org or rummage sale. Good luck.

From memory I think on the video it says about 12 rpm for the harvester so you will need a speed controller.
regards
Brian :-) :-)
www.briansworms.com
Brian M

Return to Welcome