55 Gallon Drums - ?

Moderator: Brian M

Forum rules
No Blatant Advertising

Please post your questions or answers to assist others. You may leave a helpful link that applies to your post!

55 Gallon Drums - ?

Postby JDCaduceus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 pm

I have seen on several blogs of people using 55 gallon drums to start a vermacomposting bin. Several comments have stated that these drums must have been used for food only if you want to use them as a compost bin. The question I have is this: I have access to as many 55 gallon drums that I want except they are from my local carwash company. I can cut the tops off and clean them out with water and let them sun dry. Would this be acceptable then to use these drums as compost bins for my vermacomposting bin?

thanks
JDCaduceus

Re: 55 Gallon Drums - ?

Postby The Worm Expert » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:35 am

JDCaduceus

The idea of using non-food grade 55 gallon drums for a worm bin can get a little dicey as not to say it will not work, however be careful.

I know just from experience of the 55 gallon plastic drums I get, some of which contained hot sauce, it can be very difficult to rid the hot sauce flavoring from the barrels when you take a sniff.

The sides are even stained where apparently the hot sauce has baked into the plastic drum.

I guess the best way to find out is to try one. I would keep away from the 55 gallon drums which contained car wax... and ask for a drum which has just been emptied, not sitting out back in the sun.

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Postby IdahoVermicomposter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:27 pm

I have access to phosphoric acid and propyline glycol barrels.
IdahoVermicomposter

Postby dthomson » Tue May 01, 2012 12:26 am

While I do not know for sure about worms... Propylene glycol is a pretty harmless substance, it is one of the ingredients in electronic cigarettes, lotions, etc... Does have some antiviral properties in a gaseous form, but I think it is harmless to bacteria.
dthomson

Return to Worm Composting