Difference between red worms and red wigglers

Need advice on raising fishing worms? Post your questions here!

Moderator: Brian M

Difference between red worms and red wigglers

Postby scoot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:22 pm

What is the difference between the redworm and the redwigglers. I want to raise worms to fish bream and catfish. I want to know the difference in the reproduction rate, space needed, and the size of the worms between the two species. Before I order this will help. The common earthworm is called what to the forum. Thanks for the time in answering these questions. I will have more in the future.
Ken
scoot

Re: Difference between red worms and red wigglers

Postby The Worm Expert » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:53 am

Ken

First, red worm refers to a variety of worms, it is not a specific worm by itself. The red wiggler on the other hand is great for small brim since one uses a smaller hook for the smaller ones. The red wiggler worm is also the best worm to use if composting food scraps...

I have a little more information I posted answering another question by you located here

Ken, there is no common earthworm as there are over 2,200 species of worms currently known to exist. Most all are not even native to the USA. Some will say none were native to the USA, however I have a difficult time absorbing that since worms are part of the environment and play such a valuable role in composting in nature.

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Re: Difference between red worms and red wigglers

Postby scoot » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks Bruce for the reply. It looks like the African Nightcrawlers is what I will be looking at to start with. The winters are mild here and the summers are hot.Thanks again for the info.
scoot

Return to Raising Fishing Worms