Baking Soda as Ph Neutralizer

Need advice on raising fishing worms? Post your questions here!

Moderator: Brian M

Baking Soda as Ph Neutralizer

Postby pitbull0592 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Through my straineous researching of ph neutralizers i have come across one that everyone may be able to use I just want an expert opinion before i go destroying peoples prized worm beds. From the website it is said that it lowers the Ph from acidic conditions which contribute to mites and other pests. Please Bruce can you look into this for me.Heres how

Here are some interesting pH facts. Just a reminder, the pH scale is logarithmic (And counterintuitive), so a substance with a pH of 5 is ten times more acidic than one with a pH of 6.

Check out the pH level of some of these items.

8.5 =Baking Soda
8.2 =Seawater
7.5 =Human Blood
4.5 =Tomato Juice
3.1 =Apples
2.5 =Vinegar
1 = Battery Acid

Thanks,

Pitbull
Worms will save the Earth one day
pitbull0592

Re: Baking Soda as Ph Neutralizer

Postby ALC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks, pitbull. Interesting stuff.

Just keep in mind that just because a substance is higher or lower than one's bedding currently is, that does not mean it's a good idea to add it to change the pH. Baking soda, for example, is sodium bicarbonate(from Wikipedia: "Sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate is the chemical compound with the formula NaHCO3" ). I have not seen any suggestion from any site to add that to the bins.

For my money, and worm's health, I will stick with using wood ashes from burning maple wood, ground egg shells, or garden lime. In Recycle with Earthworms by Grossman & Weitzel, pg 29, I have also read that you can "grind up calcium based antiacid tablet and add a teaspoon every week or so." I have not seen that suggestion any other place, so I will leave it to you to prove its accuracy. I do know calcium carbonate- -Lime- - (CaC03) is alkaline and will raise pH.

Whatever you add, do so a little at a time, and monitor how the pH changes, AND how the worms do! I'd do it a little at a time, that's for sure. :|

What kind of pH measuring device are you using? :?:

+Frank
Abundant Life Compost
"Bring Life to your Soil"
>Compost >Vermicompost >Compost Tea
Simpsonville, SC
ALC

Postby pitbull0592 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks i havent tried it yet so ill add a little pinch at a time.
Worms will save the Earth one day
pitbull0592

Postby The Worm Expert » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:47 am

pitbull0592

Being Sodium, a basic component of baking soda is a highly reactive metallic element, I would recommend not using baking soda in your worm bins. There are many other good uses for baking soda such as adjusting the pH levels in pools as well as an antacid for humans.

Being Sodium is very reactive, adding baking soda to a worm bin with so many variables growing inside, bedding materials... One would be risking the loss of their worms.

Bruce
The Worm Expert
Site Admin

Postby Brian M » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:19 am

Here in Australia we use Dolomite, which is calcium magnesium carbonate

Brian :) :)
regards
Brian :-) :-)
www.briansworms.com
Brian M

Postby wormlady » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:36 am

For my Canadian Night Crawlers I use powdered limestone, agricultural grade. I want to point out it is NOT agricultural lime, but limestone. I learned it as a kid because I was raised on a dairy farm and we used hundreds of pounds every spring to neutrilize the soil before we planted. It seems to work really well, I add about a handfull every month or so to a bed about 6'x2'x3' deep. It also acts a s suplement feed as limestone is a mineral crawlers need. If you decide to try it you must moisten it if you spread on top of the bed, I just give it a quick spray with the garden hose, or you can mix it into the moist bed and be done with it.
wormlady

Return to Raising Fishing Worms